Thursday, June 10, 2010

Week 5 - Day 13 – 06.10.10 - Thursday (6.61 Miles)

I must be an Oregonian!

Thursday from the time I woke up to the time I had to get ready for my run it was pouring down rain. I knew that if I kept waiting my window of opportunity to get my run in would be next to nil.  So I weathered the storm and did my 6.61 miles today.  It was interesting to see how many runners would be out as well.  The first lap around the Waterfront, there was a good amount of us getting our runs in but when I decided to go another round hoping to hit my 7 miles again today, there was probably only a handful of us left.  Each one nodding to each other with that look of "I know it sucks that it is raining, but I love to run, right?."  What I couldn't believe was that I was out there doing it and after mile 2 or 3, I literally forgot about the rain.  I know you are probably saying, are you high Mel??  No I just was so focused on my pace and how good my body actually felt that the rain was actually a welcome element because it kept my body from overheating.  My only worry now is when I do run in hotter weather, how will my body react being so used to wet and cold.

As I was nearing my 7 mile mark, both my stomach and brain decided to have a go around with me saying "You need to stop...I'm hungry" or "You need to stop, you don't want to get sick again do you?"  So I stopped and felt good but then I realized oh my I have been running in the rain for over an hour that my dri fit top and pants were drenched and added another 2-3 lbs to my frame.  Comically I grabbed some food at the local pizzeria close to my office and sheepishly paid the nice server with a sopping wet $5 dollar bill.  She was sweet and understanding and wished me a dryer afternoon.

I am looking forward to volunteering for my first half marathon event for the Helvetia Marathon this Saturday.  It will give me an idea of how a race is organized and what is done behind the scenes for the competitors since I will be helping at one of the aid stations.  Later that day, there should be a team run set for us that have volunteered so we can still stay on course with our training.

I will share more later this Saturday :D




No comments:

Post a Comment