Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week 8 - Day 22 - 07.01.10 - Thursday (6 Miles with hills)

I decided to start my 5 days off for the 4th of July holiday with a morning run close to home.  I knew that I wanted to get more hills in and decided in my brain that I would run along Highway 8 from my house in Cornelius towards the Winco in Hillsboro.  I wasn't sure how many miles but assumed my CardioTrainer could tell me either way.  I started out with a good pace and even saw something I hadn't seen in a while but an manhole cover with the old company logo "GTE" on it. I remember GTE as a child when my mom used to pay her GTE phone bill at the former Beaverton Mall, now called Cedar Hills Crossing. It's funny thing about running when just mere objects like a old GTE logo brought me back to my childhood when all I worried about in July was school was out and I was going to run and play with my neighborhood friends until my mom or grandma would call me in for lunch or dinner. Life was simple then and running has brought that state of mind back to me....THANK YOU RUNNING and thank you TNT.














I was happy with my pace which my CardioTrainer proudly announced about 8 minutes and then all of a sudden no more announcements.  It seemed to freeze up at mile 3 when I was climbing my first hill on Highway 8 and from there the only thing working on the CardioTrainer was just the stop watch.  I finally got to the Hillsboro Costco and decided to run back to hit the hills again to get used to them because God knows there will be enough of them in our San Francisco runs and finished at my front door.  Not knowing what my actual mileage was I decided to stretch, take a hot shower and then jump into my car and track the mileage that way.  After doing so I found out that I ran for 64 minutes total and the actual mileage there and back from Costco was at 6 miles.  I was averaging 10.67 minute miles which wasn't bad considering the hills in the mix.  I was a little bummed that I didn't get my 10 miles in but thought you know what it's a blessing in disguise.  My body could rest and heal a bit so I can get ready for the 10 miles awaiting me at our team run on Saturday, which is just 2 sleeps away.

I also want to do a shot out to my friend Sobo for donating $50 towards TNT and my running.  She also gave $50 towards another dear friend Karen who is also training with TNT's Eastside Running Team.  We both appreciate your friendship Sobo and your compassion in helping us raise money to find a cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment