Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week 9 - Day 25 - 07.07.10 - Wednesday (12 Miles with hills)

“Run to the hills….”
I have to say that is one song we haven’t done for our band Detention Room. Who knew that Iron Maiden would be the theme of my current marathon training. After learning quickly last Saturday that I need to get more hills and having Andrea show me where to go to get that great hill training, I decided I would venture out and do it today.

I knew that the rest of the day would be a scorcher so had my alarm set this morning for 5:30AM to get me downtown and ready to run this at 6:30AM. I am glad I did because man it was starting to warm up as early as 7AM. My body seem to remember the course and now I had my landmarks such as Chart House Restaurant, a neat child’s playground and lots and lots of hills to run on. I also wanted to try run the 12 miles without any music to get used to not having any due to some marathons who ban the use of iPods, etc.  I also knew I had to go further than my Monday, 7.4 miles because of the 12 mile pending group run for this Saturday. Doing so I found out that Terwilliger Hills connects to Capitol Highway and then dumps you right down to Barbur Boulevard where the Starbucks and Mexican Restaurant and A Boy are located. Needing the mileage I ran on Barbur for a bit until I decided to take a left on SW 3rd and it was the mother of hills with a incline of AT LEAST 35 degrees or more. I swear I must have looked like Tim Conway’s character slowly inching my way up that hill. My calves were burning so decided to slowly go down the SW 3rd Hill and rerun the course backward. After doing so I noticed I needed about a mile and half left to hit my required 12 miles so I decided to top my run on the YWCA track near Duniway Park. Once I hit my 12 miles, I walked another 400 meters and then walked all the way back to my office.
















My legs are more sore than usual, probably because of the hills, but all in all I feel good. I can’t wait to tackle this same course probably as early as Monday the 12th but for now I must save my legs AND energy for Saturday’s run.

No comments:

Post a Comment